What if I told you that the above shots were shot with my iPhone, UNDER WATER?
Did you shudder a little at the thought of putting your “precious” in the pool?
I know I did, at least at first. I had my LifeProof case on for an entire month before I worked up the courage to actually use it underwater.
I requested this case for review because wet happens in my world. It happens a lot. It’s all fun and games till someone loses an iPhone. Consider the following:
- A 4 year old (aka “the mayor of spilltown”) that thinks of my phone as his personal entertainment device
- 2 Tween/Teen daughters who keep sticking their phones in the back pocket of their skinny jeans despite the fact that those phones have landed in toilets at least twice (no comment)
- There are ten pools and a huge waterpark in our neighborhood. Ten. We try to use them all.
- Living beach close means we can check out the tide pools at lunchtime.
- Ah the Cali theme parks! Shamu show at Seaworld, Splash Mountain at Disney and Soak City at Knotts (see below). Fun. Also, wet!
The install for LifeProof cases is a little intense. Prior to installing you seal the case and water test it to be sure it is completely watertight. This involves sticking the weighted down, sealed up case in a sink full of water for an hour. Doing this exercise gave me a measure of confidence that the case was going to work.
After water testing you must clean your phone really thoroughly and then clean it some more. It’s important that it is dust, grit and grime free when you put the case on.
Once the case is on, the phone is sealed but you can still access the earphone jack and charging port. There is a screw in plug for the earphone jack that keeps it sealed when not in use and a hinged, sealed door for charger access. More details about the LifeProof case can be viewed here.
I also tested the bike mount which also works handily on your stroller. This turns your phone into a sports cam, allowing you to literally shoot and record pictures and video on the move. Similarly, an armband case comes in handy for taking your phone to the pool or waterpark.
Find out more about LifeProof Cases and order yourself one on their website. Especially if you have the issue with the phone falling out of the back pocket of your skinny jeans.
Speaking of which… My daughter has a LifeProof case now too. She tested her case along with an armband, in the pool. Which is a much better place to test than the toilet!