For the treat bags at my son’s party I wanted to make something special, and “Robot”. I first started making Marshmallow pops as a way of using up the extra melted chocolate when I made cake balls. At some point I realized that it was far easier than making cake balls and guess what, my kids *adore* marshmallows.
What you will need:
- Lollipop sticks
- Wilton Candy Eyes or Candy Necklace “beads”
- Melting Chocolate in your choice of color (I mixed green and white)
- Silver Sprinkles
- Dots Candy
- Silver Pipe Cleaners
- Small Clear Cello Treat Bags
I used the lollipop sticks I had on hand, which are the long kind. If I made these again I’d probably opt for shorter sticks. All of the supplies (except the Marshmallows and Dots) were available at our local Michael’s store.
To assemble the pops:
- Spread out wax paper on a clean & clear surface near where you will be working. Have a clean pie tin and sprinkles on hand.
- Stick lollipop sticks in the marshmallows. I do all at once, trying to keep them as straight as possible.
- Melt the chocolate. I use a mini crock pot for melting. I like the dimensions – it’s somewhat cannister shaped, about half the height of a coffee can. You can melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave, just as easily.
- Working quickly (Marshmallows melt!) swirl the marshmallow in the chocolate to coat. It will be a little globby. Don’t panic. Twirl the stick around while gently tapping against the edge of the melting pot to remove excess chocolate back to the melting pot. You may have to do a couple of practice ones but this is really easy and the chocolate smooths itself out nicely.
- Hold the pop, stick side up, in one hand over the pie tin. Take a pinch of sprinkles with the other and drop them on the top surface. Don’t worry if any land on the side, it doesn’t really matter.
- Place your pop, stick up on the waxed paper to cool and harden.
- Go back and make a couple more pops before adding the eyes. They will slide off if you try to do them when the chocolate is still too soft/runny.
- When all the pops have cooled and hardened (a couple of hours but faster if you put them in the fridge) you can add the final touches and wrap.
- Coil a silver pipe cleaner around the stick
- Top the stick with a colorful Dots candy
- Place in Cello bag and tie with a ribbon.