If you live in the L.A. area and haven’t been to the Mandalay Beach Resort, you may be missing out on one of the easiest weekend getaways in the Southland.
Sometimes in our quest to find what we are looking for, we miss the things that are so close, so obvious, and right under our noses. Such is the case with beautiful Ventura County, California. This retro nostalgic destination is undergoing a re-boot that should have LA Area weekenders paying attention.
Thanks to Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Resort for hosting me for a weekend getaway.
“If it was a snake, it would have bit you!”
Moms are famous for dispensing this sort of wisdom to their kids, but are we as good at taking that advice?
Ventura County is no snake. With its miles of coast, gourmet food, easy access harbors and plentiful family activities, this destination should be on every LA area mom’s radar. Weekend getaways don’t have to be difficult, or far flung. Just open your eyes, retrace my steps, and have a look around.
I’ve been aware of the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Resort for years. Friends have been married here and relatives and fellow bloggers have been incredibly enthusiastic about their stays.
The property is probably the west coast jewel in the crown for Embassy Suites – boasting a beach front location, fantastic resort pool and dozens of suites that open to balcony and patio views of the sand and surf.
It’s just what you would expect from a much more expensive holiday destination, and likely to incur reverse sticker shock when you realize how inexpensive it is.
Plus it’s a short walk to Oxnard Harbor from the property. That’s where you’ll find these guys snoozing in the sunshine, shacked up on each other’s tummies.
Why Stay at Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Resort in Oxnard California
- Location, location, location. This resort offers easy access to the Oxnard Harbor and downtown Oxnard. You can even plan to go on this trip car free if it suits you, and take the train to Oxnard.
- Stay on property or venture off. You don’t have to leave this property to have a good time. Everything you need for a relaxing family vacation is right on site and/or a short walk away. But if you do go off site, you won’t have to go far.
- Suites are perfect for families. Multiple rooms and multiple tvs makes for a much more peaceful family vacation
What to Do When Staying at Mandalay Beach Resort in Oxnard California
- Enjoy the uncrowded massive white sand beach. Plenty of room for sports, games, and general sunbathing.
- Take advantage of the hotel amenities & swimming pool
- Book a trip to Santa Cruz or Anacapa Island, or go whale watching with Island Packers
- Rent a quad bike from Wheel Fun Rentals and cruise the waterfront
Where to Eat When Staying at Mandalay Beach Resort in Oxnard California
- The Wayside Cafe at the Oxnard Airport
- The Waterside Restaurant and Wine Bar is the perfect place for cocktails and a delicious dinner
- The In House Coastal Grill Restaurant & Complimentary Breakfast & Happy Hour.
What to Pack For A Weekend at Mandalay Beach Resort in Oxnard California
- Swimsuits and Sunscreen
- Sand Toys and Frisbees
- Windbreakers and hats for use on the boat
- Beach friendly snacks, books and games
Which Room to Reserve at Mandalay Beach Resort in Oxnard California
Whale watching, gourmet food, happy hour and a big empty beach? Sound almost too good to be true. So what’s the catch? Just one small heads up that I can think of. It matters which rooms you are in, particularly if you are sensitive to mold or dampness. Some amount of dampness is inevitable in any beach front location but some of the rear/courtyard facing rooms seem more in need of an update. I’m told the entire hotel is expected to undergo a refresh in the months to come, but in the mean time its best to be sure to opt for one of the balcony suites facing the ocean. These rooms are fresher and brighter and you can throw open the windows and doors and really enjoy the ocean breeze. That’s where this resort really shines, anyways. It would be a shame not to wake up to their incredible views, and the sound of surf on sand.
If you’re seeking a quick getaway for your family, don’t overlook this fantastic beach front destination. You’ll have one of the easiest and best weekends away ever.
It was right under your nose all along.
Tip: If your schedule is flexible and taking kids out of school is not an issue, look for midweek non-holiday deals. You’ll find the resort particularly uncrowded and atmosphere even more relaxed. Whale watching season is nearly all year round!