This is my family’s favorite chicken salad and especially great to make ahead and serve for dinner on a hot summer night. I love making chicken salad because it is so easy and fast to whip up and saves us from the takeout trap.
This recipe makes a ton and still… it never lasts. Even if you are not a big fan of curry or coconut, you should try this recipe as all the flavors meld rather well and none are particularly overwhelming. Try playing with the amounts of mayo and curry. I like a little more curry and a little less mayo but you may feel differently! I used ingredients from Trader Joes for everything but the coconut, but of course you can find similar products elsewhere.
- 2 cans chicken meat
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1 granny smith apple, diced into 1/2 inch cubes, tossed with a squeeze of lemon
- 3/4 c mayo (I prefer reduced fat for this recipe but you could use regular)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 cup diced uncrystalized, candied ginger (this really makes it but if you cannot find or don’t like it, substitute yellow raisins)
- 2tbs honey
- salt and pepper to taste
Serve with crackers, on toast, on a bagel, with apple slices or to top a salad… Enjoy!