Co family and large family travel can be tricky. Not many resorts can meet the needs of a large and diverse group. The Grand Del Mar can, and theyâ€™ll make it look easy.
Perhaps the thought of traveling with another family, outside of your own immediate one is enough to give you hives. Or perhaps your family, much like my own, is one of many needs.
The Grand Del Mar relishes the challenge.
Recently I wrote about the things you might want to consider when planning a vacation with another family. You need to choose your travel companions carefully. You need to consider your destination even more carefully. I cannot stress enough the importance of having enough space and activities that meet everyoneâ€™s comfort level.
At the Grand Del Mar, there is no reason to feel crowded. Here you can relax in ample suites, fit even for a large family, such as ours. The Palazzo suite that we stayed in had three bathrooms, two bedrooms, living room with fireplace, and a massive shaded balcony. There was more than enough square footage that nobody felt cramped and ample amenities (nespresso, refrigerator etc) to make us feel quite luxuriously â€œat homeâ€.
Thereâ€™s something old world about The Grand Del Mar that is lacking at so many other hotels these days. Most major luxury hotels are primarily geared for and catering to business travelers.Â But The Grand Del Mar â€“ certainly comfortable for any type of event, really announces itself a hotel that really cares about family vacationers, something you feel from the moment you walk in. Where other hotels have â€œfor showâ€ seating groups that look like a formal living room waiting to be photographed, The Grand has luxurious but comfortable seating arrangements waiting for a family of five or more to settle into for a game of gin rummy. These seating areas are plentiful by the pool, on patios and around the lobby. And they are being used. It makes me smile – there is something old world and lovely about the sight of families spending leisure time together this way. More signs that families are welcome across the property:
- The hotel cafe boasts many flavors of gelato and there are more clever gifts for small children at their gift shop, than at my local toy store.
- Croquet sets are available to use on the lawn outside the restaurant
- Trail rides for kids at the Equestrian Center are easily arranged (and a big hit for our crew!)
- Pampering spa treatments for tired parents (I recommend the signature Vichy Shower “refined” treatment)
- Awesome activity filled Explorer’s Club for the kids – my son never wanted to leave.
The message is loud and clear: Families welcome. Families of many different sizes, shapes, activity levels… there is something for everyone.
Itâ€™s a comfortable hotel for guests of any age, with plenty of accessibility and amenities. But for the family members and friends who canâ€™t seem to sit still, there are plenty of more active things to do on and around the property. Children can take lessons and adults can go for a ride at the Equestrian center. The hotelâ€™s golf course is a favorite for guests and locals.
The beach, hot air balloons, legendary shopping in La Jolla and so much more are all close by to explore.
Itâ€™s obvious why one would want to stay here with extended family and friends. Itâ€™s such a wonderful place to just hang out and relax. Even if you never book another activity – you will be delighted with the three pools and fabulous spa.
Of all the hotels weâ€™ve visited as a family, The Grand Del Mar remains a favorite of my kids. They love the way they are treated there, not as luxury interlopers, but as welcome guests. Luxury hotels can be a bit daunting to children but this is not the case at The Grand. Everyone here is family, and perhaps this is why they are so good at accommodating families that travel together in complete and total comfort.
Regardless, itâ€™s easy to see why this property is a 5 star 5 diamond resort for the fifth year running. Weâ€™re fans of vacationing here and would rather skip the flights to a far flung location, in favor of some true pampering close by.
Current summer specials at The Grand Del Mar include:
- Sunday Summer Concerts Package: Available July 15 â€“ September 2, and includes: Overnight Accommodations; Two General Seating Concert Tickets. Rates from $455 per night.
- A Day at the Races: Available July 19 â€“ Sept. 5 (Wednesday â€“ Sunday only) includes: One Nightâ€™s Accommodations; Two Stretch Run Reserved Seats at the Del Mar Racetrack (tickets are non-refundable); Racing Form and Racing Digest; Transportation to and from the track (based on availability); Two Mint Juleps in the Lobby Lounge upon return from the track; Overnight Valet Parking. Rates from $475 per night. 72-hour advanced notice required. Package is not valid for Opening Day and subject to availability at time of booking; blackout dates apply.
- Extra Grand Package: Ongoing package for one night accommodations and includes a $50 resort credit for use in The Spa, Golf Club, restaurants and retail shops. Rates from $395.
To book packages, please visit www.TheGrandDelMar.com or call 1-877-814-8472 for reservations and information. Rates are exclusive of gratuity and hotel tax of 12.5%.
If you’d like a peek inside our Palazzo Suite at The Grand Del Mar, check out this video:
We’re also a huge fan of the pools at The Grand Del Mar and shot some quick video to share.
Disclosure: The Grand Del Mar hosted our family for two nights with select activities and dinner at Amaya for the purpose of facilitating this review.