{Recipe} Easy Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons

I’m not really a foodie.

Every time I make a recipe, I feel like I’m conducting an experiment. I’m crossing my fingers and toes that it all ends well.

Such has been the case with my many many coconut macaroon experiments. I’ve made them with and without egg white. With and without added starches and flours.

By far the most popular ones I have made have been the simplest ones, from an old recipe I found with my grandma’s stuff. Here it is:

Mix one can of condensed milk with one bag of sweetened coconut flakes, stir, drop by the teaspoonfull onto baking sheets lined with parchment or silicon and bake for 10-12 minutes at 350.

What you get is a chewy, caramely sticky macaroon that is incredibly sweet. For me, although it’s yummy, it’s just a little too sweet and sticky. I’ve tried a bunch of stuff to tone down the sweet/sticky. I’ve added less of the milk, and I’ve tried added adding a starch or egg whites, especially since so many macaroon recipes are meringue based. I totally hate dealing with egg whites, but that is another story. Each time I was hopeful.

Nope.

And so I tried again. This year I’ve done it. These are the perfect blend of yummy, sweet, a little crisp on the outside and tender on the inside, without being cloying. Best part is that they are still super easy and no egg whites!

Mix together:

• 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
  • 1 bag of sweetened flaked coconut (14oz)
  • 6-7 oz UNsweeted organic shredded coconut
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Stir all together until the mixture forms a claylike dough

Line a baking sheet with parchment or silicon baking mat and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill a small bowl with about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.

Roll the dough into small balls (melon ball size) and then roll the ball in the powdered sugar to coat.  Place on cookie sheet. They don’t really spread but don’t pack em too tight!  I rolled mine all into balls first, placed/spaced them,  and then went back and rolled in the sugar.

Pinch each ball with three fingers to form a pyramid like shape.

Bake for 15-17 minutes until just a little toasty and brown at the tips and edges.

Enjoy!

10 Responses to {Recipe} Easy Gluten Free Coconut Macaroons
  1. Julie (Ginger)
    April 2, 2012 | 10:57 am

I must share this recipe with my mom, who has a gluten allergy!

April 2, 2012 | 11:11 am

Macaroons were my moms favorite cookies to eat on a cruise because we would never dare to make them at home.

3. Jennifer
    April 2, 2012 | 11:54 am

Drooool. We always use store-bought macaroons, but these look delicious.

4. Mama Bub
    April 2, 2012 | 3:16 pm

Oh, YUM. I’ve always thought they were too hard to make, but I’ll be trying these!

5. Shelby Barone
    April 3, 2012 | 6:52 am

Oh my word….these look amazing!! You are clearly a very talented foodie. :)

6. Sharlene
    April 3, 2012 | 10:03 am

Those look so good!!!! I love macaroons. Dang all you people and your yummy food posts. I am starving now.

7. Caryn B
    April 4, 2012 | 1:54 am

YUM! And you’re so funny….cooking/baking is like a science experiment. Whenever I’m subbing for my son’s allergies I’m also crossing fingers that it doesn’t turn into a mess. Great recipe!

8. Syndi
    April 4, 2012 | 8:00 pm

Just made these tonight and all I have to say is…OMG perfection! I had to sneak one before the holiday for the sake of “testing” it.

April 4, 2012 | 8:13 pm

I’m so glad they worked for you too!

10. Esther
    April 7, 2012 | 3:48 pm

These are awesome and going on the annual traditions list. We just need to figure out a chocolate version as well! Be sure NOT to forget the parchment paper when baking. Ugh. First batch was a bit of a challenge to un-stick from the baking sheet. 2nd time around was perfection. Thanks Ciaran.