2 Ikea Kura Bed Hacks

3 years ago we got a great deal on a couple of Ikea Kura beds and a crib. I bought the Kura beds for my then 4yo son and 8yo daughter and the crib for my baby boy. It was my hope that both Kura beds would end up in the boys room eventually. But in the meanwhile, my daughter wanted a loft bed.

My daughter is fickle and wants to redecorate her room every year. Hmmmm…. wonder where she gets that from?

So we decided to give the “spare” Kura the girly treatment with an application of Michael Miller fabric in Pastel disco dots.

I definitely wanted this to be a reversible application so I used a non-damaging double sided tape and trimmed VERY close to the edges. I then also used a small strip of packing tape along the outside edge of the panels to keep the fabric nice and tight and the edges smooth enough to fit in the slots. Very low tech. I trimmed so it didn’t show. It’s held together great for three years now… hooray!

For the boys’ room I took a different (but also reversible) approach. I decorated both the Kura bed and the matching blue crib with remove-able vinyl decals. It’s a little obvious for sure. But I think the results were awesome! The Paul Frank decals were so cheerful and happy/colorful. I still love this room every time I walk in.

My “baby” is now almost 3.5 and ready for his big boy bed. My 11yo daughter has been ready to ditch her bed and redecorate for at least a year. I wanted to be sure and document this hack before we hack again! Stay tuned. There’s talk of a tree fort for the boys and my daughter has devised quite a plan for a rainbow room.

10 Responses to 2 Ikea Kura Bed Hacks
    June 7, 2011 | 8:15 pm

See that’s awesome and right up my alley. We actually have an Ikea bed that we had from 1 of the boys (we got rid of it’s matching bed) to re-do for A. I have so many ideas, but can’t decide. Thanks to you now I have 2 more. Indecisive me thanks you!

2. Mary
    June 7, 2011 | 8:31 pm

I love it! I have been eying that same bed for my little boy but thought it looked so drab. I’m already heading for my fabric stash to pull out some of my faves I know I have in there. Thank you!

3. Christy J
    June 7, 2011 | 8:35 pm

my youngest has a Kura! Thanks for the inspiration! They’re FANTASTIC!!! <3

4. Link love for April
    April 6, 2012 | 10:57 am

[…] momfluential.net via Whitney on […]

5. Rebecca
    April 6, 2013 | 9:46 am

Hi,
    We just got a second hand kura bed and started covering the panels with fabric. But once the fabric is on the boards it’s hard to get the o fit in the slots. We had to hammer the board in. Is this what you did? I’m worried about what will happen when we need to take the bed apart…
    Thanks!

6. momfluential
    April 6, 2013 | 10:44 am

Hi Rebecca – we used a thin fabric and I trimmed with a razor and used clear packing tape over the edges in some areas. It was a squeeze but it was easy to disassemble and remove the the fabric later!

7. Rebecca
    April 7, 2013 | 9:24 am

Thank you! I we did the same, I don’t know why it won’t fit :(
    We only put one board in place so far, maybe we’ll have better luck with the others.

8. momfluential
    April 10, 2013 | 11:19 am

perhaps try sanding inside the slot just a teensy bit to provide a little more give? I think that would have been my next move!

9. Jessica
    August 23, 2013 | 3:56 pm

Do you remember how many yards you used?

10. momfluential
    August 26, 2013 | 8:33 pm

It was at least 6 or 7 yards!